Medical Detox Services
Dual Diagnosis Treatment
Dual Diagnosis Treatment
When a person struggles from a dual diagnosis disorder in the context of addiction treatment, it means they are struggling with a substance abuse disorder and an underlying mental health diagnosis. At Boca Detox we specialize in dual diagnosis detox, providing each of clients with a combination of evidence-based detox methods, medication assisted treatment options, behavioral therapies and psychiatric services. Our team of industry professionals have combined decades of experience treating addiction and mental health, providing a program of recovery that focuses on more than physical stabilization and a safe, pain-free withdrawal. If you or someone you love has been struggling with a substance abuse disorder of any kind and a co-occurring mental health disorder, we are available to help. Contact us today to learn more about dual diagnosis treatment options in the context of medically monitored detox.
Why Mental Health Disorders & Addiction Co-Occur
Substance abuse and mental health disorders often go hand-in-hand. According to an article published by The National Alliance on Mental Illness, 9.5 million American adults experienced an addictive disorder and a mental illness in 2019. The National Institute on Drug Abuse states there are three main pathways which can contribute to the development of a dual diagnosis disorder.
Dual Diagnosis Pathways:
- A mental illness can drive a person towards substance abuse. In many cases the symptoms of an undiagnosed and untreated mental illness are extremely disruptive, and a person might turn to drugs and/or alcohol as a means of self-medication.
- Some chemical substances can lead to the development of a mental health issue. For example, someone who abuses methamphetamine for an extended period of time might develop paranoid delusions, and someone who abuses alcohol for years is at risk of developing a depressive disorder.
- Common risk factors lead to the development of addiction and mental illness. For example, someone who lives in an abusive household, has a high-stress career and has both alcoholism and depression in their immediate family is at high risk of developing both of these issues over time. Between 40 and 60 percent of a person’s vulnerability to addiction is attributed to genetic predisposition. The same goes for mental illness.
We Are Here For You
Let Us Help You Heal
Our detoxification experience is second to none.
Learn how we can help by speaking with one of our Treatment Advisors today.
Diagnosing Mental Health Disorders
Getting sober is important for an accurate mental health diagnosis. It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on when a person has been abusing a chemical substance, seeing as the symptoms associated with addiction and withdrawal can mimic the symptoms of mental illness.
Dual diagnosis disorders can be very difficult to treat seeing as there is often significant overlap when it comes to symptoms. At Boca Detox we help our clients work through a safe drug and/or alcohol withdrawal. Once they are physically stabilized we offer an in-depth psychiatric assessment to determine whether or not a co-occurring disorder is present. If a mental illness is present the client is then treated by one of our psychiatric professionals, and an appropriate, dual diagnosis-friendly aftercare plan is developed. Contact us today to learn more.
Our Detox Services Include
Symptoms of Dual Diagnosis Disorders
The symptoms of a dual diagnosis disorder will vary depending on what type of substance was being used, the severity of the substance use disorder, and the type of underlying mental illness.
The most common mental health concerns experienced by people in recovery for addiction are depression and anxiety.
Potential Symptoms of a Dual Diagnosis Disorder
- Social isolation/withdrawing from friends and family.
- Sudden and unexpected behavior changes.
- An increase in risk-taking behaviors.
- Self-medicating/feeling as if a chemical substance is necessary in order for function.
- Developing a high tolerance for the substance, meaning a greater amount is required in order for the desired effect to be achieved.
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when substance use is stopped.
If a mental illness is not thoroughly addressed in an addiction treatment setting there is little chance of continued sobriety. In most cases, a person with a dual diagnosis disorder will benefit from transitioning into a dual diagnosis residential inpatient treatment facility when medical detox concludes. At Boca Detox, as part of the Guardian Recovery Network, we work closely with several reputable dual diagnosis treatment centers throughout the country. Upon admission to our detox center each client is assigned a case manager, who works directly with the clinical team to develop a personalized aftercare plan. Our main priority is setting each and every client up for success in recovery.
Ready To Begin Your Detox?
We Offer A Safe & Effective Program
Don’t let addiction control your life.
Call us today and let’s get you started on the path to a better you.
Our Dual Diagnosis Services
At Boca Detox we do more than help our clients achieve physical stabilization. We provide a comprehensive detox program that focuses on a restoration of physical, mental and emotional health.
At Boca Detox we offer a range of effective dual diagnosis detox services, including:
- Psychiatric Evaluations – Once the bodily system has been cleared of drugs and alcohol, and once the symptoms of acute withdrawal have predominantly subsided, a psychiatric professional conducts a personalized and in-depth assessment. This assessment helps the clinical team determine which treatment options are going to benefit each unique case the most. If a person comes to us with a mental illness which has already been diagnosed and treated, we determine whether or not the current medication plan is working. Adjustments to medication are frequently made once a person gets sober.
- Individual, Group and Family Therapy – In addition to antipsychotic medications, intensive psychotherapy is also beneficial (and typically necessary for long-term recovery). Many state-funded detox facilities simply help a person undergo a pain-free withdrawal and send them on their way. At Boca Detox we believe in treating addiction at its core while addressing all underlying issues. We have several therapeutic professionals on staff who work one-on-one with clients, facilitate group therapy sessions and provide thorough family counseling services for the loved ones of our clients.
- Aftercare Planning Services – For those struggling with dual diagnosis disorders, medical detox is often only the first step on the road to recovery. We encourage our dual diagnosis clients to transition into a higher level of care once they have been physically stabilized, whether this means residential rehab, partial hospitalization or intensive outpatient treatment. Our case managers work directly with clients and their families in order to make this transition as seamless as possible. Guardian Recovery Network residential inpatient programs are capable of taking dual diagnosis clients, however, if a client opts to go to a center which is outside of our network we are more than happy to help organize that transition.
Maintaining mental health in early recovery is critical to the maintenance of sobriety. If a person fails to address underlying mental health concerns as they get sober, there is a good chance the symptoms of their mental illness will eventually lead them back to substance use. The opposite is also true; if a person seeks help for a mental illness and fails to address a co-occurring substance abuse disorder, they often skip medication, fail to show up to therapy and eventually find themselves right back where they started.
Begin Healing Now!
Have A Call With One Of Our Treatment Advisors
Don’t Suffer Any Longer
Begin Your Journey of Healing Today
The psychological symptoms associated with drug and alcohol withdrawal can be difficult to manage when left untreated. It is important to seek the care of a team of experienced medical professionals before associated symptoms peak in severity. At Boca Detox we effectively treat the symptoms associated with drug and alcohol withdrawal while providing our clients with the tools they need to continue along on their personal journeys of addiction recovery. Getting started is as simple as reaching out for help. Once you make initial contact, either through our website or over the phone, you are put in touch with one of our experienced Treatment Advisors who will answer any additional questions and walk you through our simple admissions process. We begin by conducting a brief pre-assessment, which helps our medical team determine which detox methods are the best fit for you. We offer a free, no obligation insurance benefit check and arrange local transportation to our Boca, Florida detox center. All you have to do is reach out for help, and we will take care of the rest.