What to Expect at Boca Detox Center
Once a person with substance use disorder decides to enter treatment, their substance of choice has already caused significant effects on their body. But those effects can be undone through detoxification. Cleansing the body of all addictive substances is the first step on the journey to recovery, but it’s a process that is often fraught with physical and emotional challenges.
Medically-supervised detox that alleviates unpleasant withdrawal symptoms is the safest, most logical way to detox from addictive substances and begin the healing process. This ensures that a person can stabilize safely and comfortably, and it sets them up for success.
What to Expect During Detox
Upon admission to Boca Detox, clients undergo a medical exam and medical and clinical staff design a custom treatment plan accordingly. Boca Detox offers several different types of detox services, each structured around different types of substances and the withdrawal symptoms they cause:
- Alcohol Detox: Alcohol withdrawal occurs in three distinct phases that start physical and grow more psychological. Our program helps clients manage acute withdrawal symptoms and transition into long-term treatment.
- Drug Detox: Withdrawal symptoms associated with substances like cocaine and methamphetamine are typically not life-threatening, but they can cause a great deal of physical and emotional discomfort.
- Opiate Detox: Heroin, morphine, codeine, hydrocodone, oxycodone and other opiates are highly addictive, and withdrawal symptoms can be overwhelming.
- Benzodiazepine Detox: Prescription drugs such as Valium®, Xanax®, Ativan® and Klonopin® are incredibly addictive substances that pose life-threatening withdrawal symptoms. Medically-supervised detox is crucial to client safety.
- Synthetic Drug Detox: Designer drugs manufactured with chemical ingredients, such synthetic stimulants, hallucinogens, cannabinoids and opiates like fentanyl, cause severe, adverse side effects and withdrawal symptoms that can be potentially life-threatening.
Time and Space to Detox
Detox gives a person the time, space and support to fully cleanse their body of the drugs or alcohol they have been using. This is often a difficult, uncomfortable experience, which is why Boca Detox makes client comfort and safety our utmost priority by offering:
- 24/7 medical care.
- Daily meetings with physicians and clinicians.
- On-staff nutritionist.
- Private rooms.
- Cozy common areas.
- Outdoor lounge.
- Classically trained personal chef.
- Healthy meals made with fresh, whole ingredients.
Detox can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days to a few weeks, and withdrawal symptoms are often inevitable. A few different factors determine withdrawal symptoms:
- The type of substance used;
- The length of substance use;
- The amount of substances consumed;
- And whether a co-occurring mental health disorder or medical condition is present.
Withdrawal symptoms include:
- Shakiness or trembling
- Increased heart rate
- Confusion and brain fog
- Visual and auditory hallucinations
To ease withdrawal symptoms, medications like buprenorphine, chlordiazepoxide and oxazepam may be administered only as medically appropriate.
What to Expect After Detox
Detox serves as a springboard to higher levels of recovery care and treatment. It’s a crucial first step toward lifelong recovery that any esteemed, quality treatment center will require before admitting a new client.
Lasting recovery requires a strong foundation of support, which is why we serve as advocates for our clients and are committed to helping them achieve long-term success. Boca Detox provides aftercare planning for all of our clients. We work with trusted addiction treatment facilities in South Florida and throughout the United States to determine the next appropriate phase of treatment.
Management for Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms
Acute withdrawal symptoms, such as shaking and sweating, may subside after a few days, but other symptoms can stick around. While acute withdrawal symptoms tend to be more physical, post-acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS) are more psychological. PAWS include:
- Low energy
- Difficulty sleeping
- Mood swings
PAWS cause discomfort, but they also pose a greater risk: relapse. These symptoms can be so overwhelming that they can drive a person to use. At Boca Detox, we provide education, training and management techniques to identify PAWS and prevent relapse.
Lasting Sobriety Starts With Boca Detox
Detox is a critical step toward permanent recovery, but in reality, it’s only the first. Boca Detox can help you detox from addictive substances and prepare you or someone you love for the next phase of treatment and connect you with appropriate resources that meet your needs: personally, financially and geographically. To learn more about how our programs can help you achieve lasting sobriety, contact us at 561.271.7612.